I found this video on Facebook the other day. It made me realize, wow I've already been through this with my mom. She is a breast cancer survivor and has been for 2 whole years. But that year, the month of June, when I got the call where she told me. It could have been the scariest thing I've ever heard. Mainly because I didn't know much about the disease, and mostly because it was my Mother. My mom. The one who doesn't get sick. The one who has more energy than 3 of me's could ever have! She was everyone's rock. Having cancer didn't keep her down, she was the strongest, bravest person I know, and she told that disease where to go. Away. And it did. Watching this video, made me feel sad, but hopeful for all the families and friends of others who are going this. I know how there feeling, it's a scary feeling when it's not in your control. I'ts in Heavenly Fathers hands, and he knows exactly what he's doing. I know that, my testimony on that has grown so much. He is looking out for us, especially in those big, life altering moments. He's there. I'm grateful he spared my mom 2 years ago, without her, the world would not be as bright, and a large piece of our happiness would be gone. I'm thankful she is here. I know there are people out there struggling, it's hard to see. It's real, and you can get through it. Have faith, hope, love and trust in the Lord. He'll do the rest.
This was the day where my mom gathered all the family up to shave her head. I still remember it perfectly. All the cousins were there, along with my siblings, my dad, grandparents. We got it on video too. I don't think I'll ever want to watch it though.... I wouldn't couldn't shave part of her hair. After seeing my sister run out crying, I knew I would break down hard. My cousins had a blast, though they are young and didn't understand the deep stuff. As I watched my mom's hair fall to the ground, she looked beautiful. I mean have you ever seen your mom bald? She never looked prettier! {perfect shaped head too}
The 3 ladies. Hard, emotional day. From that day on, things changed, We look at each other different. My mom set such an example of how the exterior is in fact very beautiful and lovely, but its the inside that really counts. That day, I think I decided to not worry about the little things on myself, and started to appreciate the good things God's given me. It's led me far, and thank you mom for that valuable lesson.
There was always, always a great support group cheering in the background for my mom. Here is a group of friends/ family at California Pizza Kitchen. This was one of her first treatments, she did all of them at the amazing Huntsman's cancer center. I'm fortunate I got to see her a lot during this time.
Be grateful for what you have. Enjoy life. Embrace every little piece of it. One day, you might get a call that changes it all. For better or worse. I believe that some genius child out there, will grow up and go to school and be a research person for Cancer. They will find a cure. We have to have hope. I wanted to share this post with you all, because in one point or another in every single person's life, you will be affected by Cancer. Its not if, but when.
May 12th, day before mothers day= Walk for the Cure {Susan G. Koleman} SLC. Can't wait!!